General Meeting August 9, 2015

Facebook Event

Meeting Notes

BikeLoud meeting notes, August 9, 2015

Introductions

Fifteen attended, meeting ran about 2 hours. Emily led the meeting and kept us on track and moving forward. Note-taker: Tom


VOTED to adopt last month’s minutes

Update on Clinton diverter (Soren)

Rich Newlands presented to HAND neighborhood association, diverter timeline and implementation details unclear. HAND neighborhood association cautious about handing the reins over to PBOT after their unpopular proposal to add swing gates/switchbacks to the MAX crossing at SE 8th and 11th, as well as concerns over neighborhood pushback following the proposed R2DToo move. Need to keep on PBOT or deadlines will get pushed back. Get more details at tonight’s Richmond neighborhood association meeting.

ACTION: Invite bike community to tonight’s Richmond neighborhood association meeting. Rich’s Clinton diverter presentation is at 8 p.m.

ACTION: Ted will set up a meeting with Rich and one or two other BikeLoud folks.



Update on Rodney diverter (Ted)

Presented sketch of streets in question to group. Some locals don’t want parking spaces removed. “PBOT’s taking out infrastructure before opening the greenway, so those that might appreciate it haven’t even had the chance.” ACTION: Ask Rich about this at above planned meeting.

Update on Code of Conduct (Emily)

ACTION: Emily will create a draft of an “Event Cheat Sheet”, a guide for organizing BikeLoud events so they have the biggest impact, especially with the media (get advocates to events earlier so they are ready to go when media arrives, etc). Code of Conduct in the works.

Report on last protest ride and vigil (Dan not there, so Soren)

Friends and family of the victim were grateful to BikeLoud for acknowledging their loss and trying to improve things. Drivers passing noticed and showed some support. Rep from Oregon Walks was there. Last Fridays of each month is the day for future events, probably on high-visibility corridors, ideas welcome.

Update on Clinton to the River Infrastructure Safari (Jessica, Ted and Emily)

Reported on a list of problems sent to PBOT and TriMet. VOTED to invite PBOT and TriMet for a second site visit to respond to our safety concerns. ACTION: Soren to write article? Publish site photos to social media?


Update on meeting with Capt. Sheffer (head of PP traffic division) (Emily and Allen)

She’s enthusiastic about helping to stop unsafe passing on greenways, outreach to public, and enforcement. Possible start in Sept. for back-to-school, then once a month. When things are solid, we’ll publish through online channels. ACTION: Emily to follow up with Captain Sheffer.

Update: “Interstate project is still moving forward” (Ted)


Update on potluck anniversary (Emily)

'ACTION: Emily to link potluck with end-of-month memorial event (logistics for potluck perishables?) ACTION: Pass a hat at the potluck for the following:

Update on more formal group organization

VOTED to file to become an Oregon public benefit nonprofit corp ($50). ACTION: Form committee to decide on pursuing Umbrella and/or other options for taking tax-free donations (Ted, Angel, Garlynn, &/or Joel).

Organizing communication channels

ACTION: Tom to bring the following to the communications team: group wants smoother dissemination of information to the group and general public. Wish list from group:


  1. Draft a process for deciding what to publish, and where.
  2. Add BikeLoud Gmail address to website, and plan for monitoring it.
  3. Create an alert list, so we can activate many people quickly. Develop guidelines for it.
  4. Explore the newsletter idea
  5. Audit communication channels - what do we need, what can we commit to maintaining?
  6. How can we engage a wider advocacy audience?
  7. Proofreading team we can send things for quick once-over before publishing.
  8. Reach out to the hundreds of people who gave us their email address in June; send them a welcome email with instructions on how to join the Google Group, link to BikeLoud’s calendar . (Typing out the names and addresses will take a lot of work, as they are currently in hand-written form. Will talk to Chris and Joe about it.)



General discussion on activism meetings in PDX (supporting other activist groups) (Roberta not present, so Emily) “Broader base gives us a chance to compete politically”. “We have more than enough on our plate”. “Let’s be very cautious about aligning ourselves with groups, any one of them has the potential to do something that reflects poorly on us and/or hinders our ability to achieve our goals.” It's good to keep intersectionality in mind. We've done this before, like when someone from a Socialism group came and talked about affordable housing.

ACTION: Interested members could form a subcommittee to explore the issue and bring recommendations to the group.

30 min breakout session after the meeting for small group discussions (communications, incorporation, direct action, etc) Not sure if this happened, I could only stay 2 hours.

Ted: Shared quote from transportation decision-maker in government: Before BikeLoud, we rarely heard from the Mayor’s office. Now we hear a lot from the Mayor’s office.” Making a difference!


Event Information

Emily Guise is facilitating this meeting. It will be held at Piccolo City Park (SE 27th and Division) on Sunday, August 9th at 4pm. This meeting is a little later because that's the same day as the Tillikum open house, and a bunch of people will be at that.

Agenda

Agenda for August General Meeting

Meeting run time: 90 minutes

5 min: Intro

1 min: adopt last month’s minutes

5 min: Update on Clinton diverter (Soren)

5 min: Update on Rodney diverter (Ted)

5 min: Update on Code of Conduct (Amy/Jennifer)

5 min: Update on last protest ride and vigil (Dan)

10 min: Update on Update on Clinton to the River Infrastructure Safari

Report on list of problems sent in through customer service privately

by Jessica, Ted and Emily. Proposal for an invite from BikeLoud to

PBOT and TriMet for a second site visit to respond to our safety

concerns. (Ted, Jessica, Emily)

10 min: Update on meeting with Capt. Sheffer (head of PP traffic division) (Emily)

5 min: Update on potluck anniversary (Emily)

10 min: Forming committee to complete paperwork for incorporating as an Oregon Non-profit Corporation, and to discuss setting up a temporary 501(c)3 with Umbrella. Ted, Angel, Garlynn, &/or Joel have expressed interest in being on the committee

15 min: Organizing communication channels for smoother dissemination of information to the group and general public

15 min: General discussion on activism meetings in PDX (supporting other activist groups) (Roberta)

30 min breakout session after the meeting for small group discussions (communications, incorporation, direct action, etc)